intersections of gods and men



Week 2


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I have two papers due at the end of this week. One answering the question: "What sorts of evidence can be adduced for (and against) the view that certain aspects of language are universal and innate?" The other is: "Was there an identifiable central core of Judaism in the period of 100bc to ad100?"

In an attempt to get ahead on the first essay as to give me more time later to work on the second I spent my entire day reading linguistics texts and going to linguistics lectures. One lecture series, however, I do not think I will go to again. It was vastly interesting, and the lecturer seems to be quite a good chap, but I'm afraid I am at a bit of an intellectual disadvantage, and thus have a horrible time trying to follow the whole conversation. It seems that my working knowledge of Greek and Latin are under par, not to mention my Sanskrit, Gothic, Old English, German, and Proto-Indo-European.


3 Responses to “Week 2”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    wha!? you POST? and it isn't xanga?! AWESOME! I'll add this blog to my links.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Um, have you thought about the fact that all languages have the equivalent of "um"? It varies a bit ("ehhhh" "em"), um, but I think that is universal. Um, write about that.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Yes, in Uzbek, "um" is "annaka". You could write about that!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm whoamitoblowagainstthewind
  • From Down Wind
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


the really dry wash